Parents “Right-to-Know”


Parents have the right to request information regarding the professional qualifications of classroom teachers and any paraprofessional providing support to their child (ren). A school official must also give timely notice if a student has been assigned or has been taught for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not highly qualified.


Parents upon request will be provided the following information about the qualifications of professional and paraprofessional personnel who provide instruction to their child (ren).

(a)       Whether the teacher has met state qualification and licensing criteria for the grade  

           levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction.

(b)       Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or provisional status through

       which state qualification or licensing criteria have been waived.

(c)        The baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any other graduate

       certification or degree held by the teacher, and the field of discipline of the

       certification or degree.

(d)       Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their



Parents may request this information from the principal of the school or it may be accessed via the Internet by going to the web site of the Tennessee Department of Education, teacher Licensing Web Site:


Parents shall receive written notification if their child should become the victim of a violent crime at school. He/she will have the right to transfer to another school within the school district.


At such time that any school within the Grainger County School System was to be placed in school improvement, parents will be notified and informed of their right about school choice and supplemental services which may be afforded the children who attend that school.